Should a Student File a Federal Tax Return?
To determine if you need to file a Federal Tax Return, please refer to the IRS website Tax Information for Students.
Refer to Publication 501
, Exemptions, Standard Deduction and Filing Information
, for an explanation of the five exemption tests and filing requirement rules.
How you File
Most people who work need to file a tax return. Benefits of electronically preparing and transmitting tax returns include increased accuracy, faster refunds, and the ability to file federal and state returns simultaneously.
- TeleFile is one of three electronic filing options. The IRS sends a tax package to taxpayers who are eligible. Taxpayers use the keypad of a touch-tone telephone to transmit their tax information to the IRS.
- Electronic filing using tax preparation software on a personal computer is a second option. Taxpayers can transmit their returns from home, workplaces, libraries, financial institutions, or retail outlets. Free on-line services are offered by Turbo Tax, the IRS, and others.
- A third option is to use tax professionals, including certified public accountants (CPAs), tax attorneys, IRS-enrolled agents, tax preparation businesses, and VITA sites and walk-ins. Depending on the tax professional and the services required, a fee may be charged.
A W-2 form is issued by your employer and records the wages you have earned from them during the course of the previous calendar year. Instructions for accessing your Yale W-2 Earnings Statement is available on-line.
- Students must agree to receive their W-2 electronically or they will receive a paper copy.
- The electronic copy, which is access online and then printed, is the identical image to that Yale Payroll prints and mails. If you are required to return portions of your W-2 when you mail in your tax return, you simply cut and attach the appropriate noted box.
Tax Filing Assistance
While there is no personal assistance at Yale for students filing their taxes, the local IRS office will assist students in preparing their returns. Their contact information is
New Haven IRS
150 Court Street
Students can file Federal tax returns for free on-line via services offered by Turbo Tax and the IRS, among others.
Yale's Federal ID Number is 06-0646973, and State of CT ID Number is 0497099-000.
International Tax Filing
A nonresident alien must file either Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ for a taxable year if either of the following two conditions apply
- the nonresident was "engaged in a trade or business in the U.S." at any time during the tax year; or
- if not engaged in a U.S. trade or business during the tax year, s/he had income on which not all U.S. income tax was withheld.
International (Non-Resident Alien) Tax Assistance
The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) provides students with an on-line tax preparation software, CINTAX, to aid in the preparation of Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ. You may contact them at:
421 Temple Street
New Haven, CT 06511